Thursday, November 15, 2012

Meeting Number 5: Blue Bucket!

We started with Turkey Hand Art!
I made a sheet that had an old poem on the top of it:
This isn’t just a turkey, as anyone can see…
I make it with my hand, which is part of me.
It comes with lots of love, especially to say …
I hope you have a VERY happy Thanksgiving Day!

Then, we painted the girls hands with Tempera Paints and they made a giant,
colorful, Turkey hand print on it.
We did this FIRST so they could dry as the meeting progressed.I know from experience that there is nothing more fun that getting a wet, painted item to take home.{not!}
 
THEN... on to the regular meeting...
 
Circle Time

·Review Caper Chart. Leader Helper sits on my right
Girl Scout Promise

·How do we think the gal on our left feels today? Go around the circle and ask - as we are working on feelings (Blue Bucket)

Independent Petal Pack Award Pass Out.

Theme of the day:  You, Me, How Different We Can Be - where they learned about other people’s feelings. I went to the board and asked them to describe me. I am a hefty gal and was hoping for someone to hit on that... and they said everything BUT that, I had to prompt them, LOL!
That opened up the door to explain WHY I am a larger woman. I have been cut out of not one, but TWO major car accidents. I have had 18 broken bones, have more arthritis than my grandmother. I was on crutches, had casts, braces and more on my legs. That led into a great explanation on how we are ALL different.
Then, I held up a paper heart... crumpled it up... opened it up again. This was to show how the words you say to someone can hurt them and even, after you say "I'm sorry", the marks can still be there.

Yes, I love visuals.

They already understood this because none of them wanted to pull the fat/chubby card with me. They are AWESOME girls.
{grin}

THEN -- back to our journey books! They were to finish chapter 1 before coming back to a meeting, and they did.

Talk about nature’s colors and how we made the Handprint Turkey Craft.

They earned their Blue Bucket Award.
Daisy Journey 2 Award Patch Set
 
Time to Finish our Safety Badge training!
We tested them on their address and phone number. It was the LAST thing that they needed to know for this. If they passed, they got their pin. They all DID pass and you could see how proud some of them were to get their awards!
-->It was SUPER cute!


Snack Time
·Snack and beverage helpers pass out treats. It was Root week... the snack helper brought in little plates of carrot sticks with dip and the beverage helper had juice boxes. Simple and easy -- healthy and still working with our "plant" theme.
Circle time

·Christmas Songs: Rudolph, Jingle Bells, any others?  We came up with "We Wish You A Merry Christmas, Mr Snowman (from kindergarten) and an "echo" song.
That gives us a grand total of 5 songs for our caroling at the senior center in December...that we will practice at the next meeting and sing while they ring bells for our Salvation Army shift.

Clean Up helpers helped pack up cart and clear the message board... A LOT of girls helped clean up - it was super!
Take home: Their craft, The Blue Bucket patches, Safety pin and reminder for the next meeting. It was a lot of fun!
:)

No comments:

Post a Comment